Thursday 9 June 2011

The Scotland trip - putting the puzzle together

I have been looking for hotel rooms in Edinburgh for quite some time now. There are only a few which really convince me. After spending several hours comparing their ratings and locations, I am now down to three hotels which strike me as "good enough", "reasonably priced" and "within walking distance of all the essential tourist places".
It is a difficult decision, but the hotel with the swimming pool wins. 
4 star hotel, 3 nights, £360 total - booked. 
The hotel in Ardlui is now booked as well. The room has a view onto the lake and that sounds pretty lovely to me. I just hope that the sun will shine, preferably in the morning, just for 30 minutes or long enough to take a few lovely pictures.
Kaaaa-tching! 
Now I will need to sort out the accommodation in Inverness since the capacities there get fewer by the hour. I am tempted to take the Ramada, since it is bang in the town centre. A double room at the Ramada costs £260 for two nights. No breakfast. That is a bit steep.
I am changing tack and look for B&Bs. There is a lovely one not too far from the station on the banks of the river Ness. The ratings are very good. On their website I see that doubles cost between 35 to 50 pounds a night, depending on the weekday and double or single occupancy. It sounds great, so I enter the dates to check their availability.
Lo and behold, there is one room left – £240 for two nights. It would include breakfast. I frown. What happened to £35 to £50?
I keep looking and find another B&B which costs £120 including breakfast, for two nights, double bedroom with single occupancy… that one is on the banks of the river as well and the ratings are also very good. That is pretty convincing so I book it in a flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment