Monday 25 July 2011

The Scotland trip - Day 4 - Edinburgh and Inverness

6:57
Been awake for some time. When I check the watch, I curse myself. How come my alarm clock needs to wake me brutally at 7:30 in the mornings when I am working? And how come I am wide awake at 6:40 when I am on holidays?

7:45
Sorting my backpack. Reorganising everything.

9:10
Fairly rested and showered, I go out to have breakfast at the Castleview Rock CafĂ© on the Grassmarket. I don’t really feel like a Scottish breakfast, because I will get at least two of those in the next two days. So, I go for a cappuccino, a warm croissant with marmalade and muesli instead. The croissant is not all that convincing, but the muesli is lovely.

9:30
I am fed and cafed and decide to go for a digestive stroll to see if I can get a souvenir for myself in the form of an Edinburgh hoodie or a dagger.

10:15
The hoodies do not really convince me and I would probably have trouble squeezing one into my backpack. And the dagger is heavy, both weight and expenses-wise. I return to the hotel empty-handed to do the final packing. Then I turn on the TV, lie down and watch TV with half a brain and relax the other half and my muscles.

11:45
Time to check out. Latest checkout time is noon. I could leave my bag at the reception and stroll around some more since the train to Inverness only leaves at 13:35. But I can’t be bothered. I almost feel like a local already. It’s time to move, although I already know that I’d like to visit a second time.

12:15
Took some more pictures, walked around a little aimlessly, unsure how to spend the remaining time until my train is due. I go to Burger King and order a Kid’s Meal, eat leisurely, get some cash, go to Boots and buy something to eat and drink, as the train journey will take 3 ½ hours.

13:10
I go to the loo and join the rest of my fellow passengers to be, waiting impatiently for the platform to be announced.

13:20
The train moves forward on the board but no sign of which platform it should be on. All other trains, even the ones due to depart later, already have a platform assigned. Everyone around me is shifting whenever there is movement. A sure sign that they will be on the same train as I will be.

13:28
At last! Platform 15. A crowd of people storms towards the turnstiles, jostle through and storm towards the front four coaches… only to find that the doors are still locked. Inside the coach, a man is visible, putting the “reserved” slips up. The doors open and within 2 minutes, there is total confusion. The information on the slips claims that it is coach E, but we are in coach B. People decide to just sit down randomly. I am pretty sure that I got the right seat. The weather is warm and there are problems with the air-condition – it is kind of hot in here. And full. Opposite me is a mother with her two children. A boy and a girl. We start rolling.

14:10
We have left Edinburgh and Kirkcaldy. The kids are twitchy, keep asking, if they are there yet between scribbling postcards. They will not have to go all the way to Inverness and I breathe a sigh of relief. Inwardly of course. I like children. If they are well behaved. Unfortunately, not all are, but as kids go, these are kind of alright.
The scenery upon leaving Edinburgh was stunning. Speeding along the coast is really nice, especially in this gorgeous weather.

15:00
As we’re about to pull into Perth we need to stop. All platforms are taken. I can live with that because to our right is the Royal Scotsman. I am not really a train-phile, but I know when I see something cool. And this is cool. It oozes distinguished style. After a few minutes, we start rolling into Perth, simultaneously with the Royal Scotsman. Then an announcement “Ladies and gentlemen, we were given Platform 5. I am not sure why because it is a dead end platform. I’ll try and find out, what will happen next.”

15:12
We are 15 minutes late as we start rolling backwards and then forwards again, out of Perth and towards Dunkeld. That is the destination for the mom with the kids. It’s a good thing, because the kids are very bored. And they have spent the best part of the last hour eating and drinking: wonderfully processed cheese, crackers dunked in fresh cheese, yoghurt,  some pre-processed juice, brownies, which left them with sticky chocolate fingers.
Next to us sits a father with his two daughters, one is about 8 the other about 2. The two year old is literally latched onto a Ribena bottle. And when it is not, it is either laughing or eating sweets. No wonder the children are happy. I am also wearing a constant grin, when I overdose on sugar.

15:40
Pitlochy – the scenery has changed and reminds me of Canada. A lot! Dark green woods with tall trees populate high hills. It is stunningly beautiful.

16:15
We’re past Dalwhinnie now and the scenery has changed again. It is still green, but very lush, with grass moving in the wind and sunbleached rocks and creeks. Loads of sheep. Cows. Some horses. We could be in America, only the typical English houses, light grey brick, kind of give away that we’re still in Kansas, … or rather not.

16:50
We have managed to amass 25 minutes of delay as we leave Aviemore. It’s kind of ok for me because I do not have a connection, but I can see some panic-stricken faces around me.

17:25
Inverness – at last! I need the loo. And I want to find out where the bus for the Jacobite tour tomorrow leaves exactly. Thanks to googlemaps, I have a very good idea of where I need to go. I find the bus station and the bus stance without trouble and head towards my B&B next.

18:05
At the B&B. It is wonderfully idyllic on the banks of the River Ness. The sun is shining, the tree-lined street is wonderfully quiet. The water reflects the sun. 
























My hosts are lovely, the house is stunning and the room is perfect. It is a small cosy tower room with an ensuite. I decide to go out and explore Inverness.




























18:45
Inverness is very... compact. Getting lost here would be a challenge. I have found a supermarket nearby, but they do not have anything I fancy. None of the restaurants I have passed so far does it for me either. I do not want a full-blown dinner. It is rather warm and I had a hot lunch already.

19:02
Bella Italia is my choice for tonight. The restaurant is packed and I have not booked in advance. The waiter asks if it is ok for me to wait 5 to 10 minutes for a table. Since I have my heart set on something on the menu, I agree to wait. More people come in and need to wait for a table as well.
I order a large salad, which turns out to be just what the doctor ordered. It is delicious. To make sure that my sweet tooth is satisfied as well, I order a Lemon cake. Now I am sufficiently full and happy to go back home.

20:03
I am having trouble leaving the restaurant. There is a 10 metre queue occupying even a part of the pavement outside the restaurant. It is peak season. And while Edinburgh had been teeming with Spaniards, Inverness is infested with Germans.

20:15
I turn on the TV for background noise, grab my netbook and continue my Scotland diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment