Saturday 30 July 2011

The Scotland trip - Day 9 - Glasgow to Hove


8:12
I wake up, judging by the quality of the light, it must still be early. I check my mobile. Whoops! I had set the alarm on my mobile to 7:45 but nothing had happened. The mobile is all good. Then I realize that I had set the alarm for weekdays only and today is Saturday. A true “Duh!” moment, but no harm done. The train leaves at 11:40 and there is little I could have done in that time anyway. The plan is still to have a leisurely breakfast in The Willow Tearooms. Everything else would be too much hassle and as these are my last few hours in Scotland, there is no point in rushing things.

8:50
I have taken a nice long shower. There are two shower heads. A tropical one, the size of a dinner plate and a detachable one. It’s awesome. I really like the bathroom here. To be perfectly honest, I never really liked the fixed shower heads. I call them “puritan shower heads” because you cannot wash all body-parts effectively. These contraptions eliminate the possibility of doing naughty things with the shower head, hence I think they're "puritan". (At this point I should add that although showers do give me pleasure, these are far removed from being sexually gratifying in any way, shape or form.) 
The body towels are blissfully large and while I am drying myself, I am pondering which moron came up with the idea of having a separate loo. Of course, I understand that, if you travel as a couple, it makes things a lot easier. One can have a shower while the other can deliver a brown package without disturbing the showering party with sights, sounds and smells. Still, I cannot fathom who came up with the planning of the loo layout. The door cannot be opened fully, because it opens into the bog,  which is very small. So the door bumps right into the toilet paper holder. If you sit on the throne, you have to sit slightly to the right, because the open door occupies the rest of the space. Forget closing the door, unless you want to do some serious physical exercise.
A toilet which barely occupies 1 square metre, with a door opening into the "room". That is a feat only an English person would try to accomplish… and fail miserably because the laws of physics also apply in this country.
Dear planner, did you really think this through?
9:10
Ready to conquer breakfast. The tea rooms only opened 10 minutes ago and I am the only guest so far. Staff is still busy getting everything ready, but they ask me to sit down anyway. A rather cute guy takes my order. (Am I the only one reading this wrong deliberately?) Of course I could order yet another Scottish brekkie, but if I have to eat one more of those in the next month, I will throw up. So, I order something slightly healthier. Well, kind of... Scottish porridge with fresh fruit and a shot of Drambuie. A cappuccino. A hot croissant.
The cappuccino arrives promptly. The porridge shortly after. And the hot croissant, well, ok, I said that I wanted to have it after the porridge and not with it, but the cook seems to have some trouble with that part of the order.
When my croissant finally arrives it looks pitiful. I wonder if the Scottish might have a hate/hate relationship with croissants.
Porridge with fruit, and a shot of Drambuie
At the Willow Tearoom - Sauchiehall
9:30
I am fed and cappuchinoed. Very slowly, I head back to the hotel to pack up everything, brush my teeth and check-out. Three questions remain unanswered:
1) What is going on with croissants in Scotland: is it illegal to bake good ones here?
2) Who planned the loo layout at the Novotel Glasgow?
3) I should walk to the station or take the bus?

10:45
I have checked out and walk towards the station. One of the three questions answered. A hunch tells me that the first two questions will be swallowed by the fog of importance.
The hotel is supposedly 1.5 km from Central station. Since I am carrying a backpack, I figure it might be a good idea to start the hike, especially, since I have not walked there before. It looks pretty straightforward though.

11:10
At the station. That was easy and as I enter it, I marvel at it. It is dignified. All the shops have wood paneling and there are no bright trademark logos.
I still have half an hour to kill and rather than sitting around idly, I decide to head towards the town centre, just because I feel like it.
Glasgow Central
11:30
Back at the station. My train is there. Platform is announced. Excellent.

11:40
The train departs on time. I am in first class, quiet zone. Three out of the four people around me, whip out their laptops. I follow suit. None of us is a businesswoman or man though.
The only relaxed way to travel

Ready, but somewhat unwilling to head back south

12:50
Carlisle: first stop. More people. More laptops. Viva la technologica.

16:15
London Euston: I just scramled out of the train and walk down the endless platform towards the gates. Down the escalators. Off to Victoria.

17:20
On the train from Victoria to Hove. I am tired and yet elated. It's been a great trip, not cheap but absolutely worth it.

21:00
The first wash is already drying on the airer. I went grocery shopping and took a shower. While I am writing this, I am saving all the pictures on my external hard drive. Would I do it again? Yes, I would! Just give me a day to recover and to get my clothes dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment