Tuesday 26 July 2011

The Scotland trip - Day 5 - Inverness and Loch Ness

6:51
Maybe I should wake my alarm clock?! I am awake, but the mobile won’t stir for another 39 minutes. I go to the loo and head back to bed. Breakfast is not until 8:30 and I do not have to be at the bus station before 10:00.

9:00
Breakfast was great. The starter consisted of a bowl of berries, followed by the main course, the “Highlander breakfast”. Luckily, it does not include haggis or black pudding. In the breakfast room, I encounter a German couple, a Spanish family, a lady from Edinburgh and a French family. Classical music was playing quietly in the background and the polished wooden floor was creaking with every step. This places oozes style! 

9:30
I successfully dawdled around some more. The weather forecast predicts that we will have some rain. It certainly looks overcast. Since the tour will include a boat ride on Loch Ness and an hour in the ruins of Urquhart Castle, I decide to play it safe. T-Shirt, shirt, fleece jacket and rain layer. As I step outside, it is a little warmer than expected.

10:00
The bus for the Jacobite tour is there. Our guide is George, he explains that there are two groups on the bus. The Passion and the Sensation tour - I hope that my camera lens won't steam up. I have booked the Passion tour which includes a half hour boat ride on Loch Ness, one hour at Urquhart Castle, one hour at the Loch Ness Centre. We pick up more passengers at two other stops and then we’re off.

The Jacobite Sensation tour


11:15
We’re on the boat. The sun is burning away the clouds. Loch Ness’s dark waters are glistening in the sun. The skies are blue. The hills are green. And I am starting to sweat like a pig. Urquhart castle has come into view. It’s all stunning! Yeah, alright, me sweating like a pig isn't.

Just arrived at the castle
11:30
We go ashore at Urquhart castle and are greeted by the sound of bagpipes. People climb up the small hill. The ruins are flocked with tourists who all run around, taking pictures as though their lives depend on it. And yes, I am one of them. We only have one hour after all. It seemed enough when planning the trip. At the time of booking, I had one thought lodged firmly in the back of my mind: having to explore the ruins of a castle in the rain would be a wee bit tedious. After 20 minutes, I am done with the pictures. I need the loo. George, our tour-guide told us we should really try and see the film that is shown at the centre. With an uncanny sense for timing, I only have to wait two minutes until the doors to the theatre swing open.

At Urquhart castle



















12:15
I have skipped the café and the souvenir shop and walk up to the parking lot. 45 minutes was all I needed. Good thing I did not book the long tour.

12:30
We're at the Nessie Centre. It is all nicely atmospheric, we learn all about the Nessie phenomenon. If you treasure the magic and myth of Loch Ness, you might prefer to close ears and eyes though. No spoiler alert from me.

14:05
We're back in Inverness. I am feeling respectably peckish.

14:30
Late lunch at M&S. A sandwich, a bag of crisps, a coke and key lime desert. Bought fruit and something to drink for the evening. I do not feel like eating out again.

16:15
Strolled through the shopping centre, but I can't really buy anything. My backpack is pretty full as it is and I do not feel like carrying additional bags for the rest of the trip. I am already back at the B&B and track down my hosts to pay for the room.

16:30
Room is now paid. I also arranged for an earlier breakfast since my train will be leaving at 9:00 in the morning. My hosts are great! Incredibly helpful and accommodating with regards to breakfast. I also send off an inquiry for the taxi ride from Banavie to Fort William for the next leg of my tour.

17:00
It is too early to call it an evening. So, I head back into town, just walking around aimlessly. There is not much to do, apart from taking pictures and trying to pronounce the Gaelic street signs.

18:30
I am back at the B&B. It is time to rest because tomorrow will be tough and I will face the trickiest part of the journey. I will have to rely on two trains, one bus, one taxi and one ferry to be fairly on time. Since I will be travelling through the Scottish outback, I got enough cash to keep me afloat for  the next 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment