Friday 29 July 2011

The Scotland trip - Day 8 - Ardlui to Glasgow

6:57
Can't believe my luck. I am wide awake with a headache again. This is not fair, I did not even drink yesterday. I peek out of the window to check what the weather is like. Hooray! It is sunny. The view onto the lake is beautiful. I leave the curtains open and go back to bed.

7:30
With the feeling of dread, I enter the shower cabin. It does not really look like it is up to the job.

7:50
Pleasantly surprised by the water pressure. It was better than expected. So good that I only stopped because the water went cold after 15 minutes. The headache is a little kinder but is rears its ugly head as soon as I am out of the shower. I blame carrying the backpack and the weather change for the headache. Or maybe I am just hungry. 
The towels in the hotel are disappointingly small. I can’t wrap myself in one. Just as well, I got to get dressed.

8:30
Reorganised my bag once more. Got dressed. Time to go for breakfast!

9:02
Yet another Scottish breakfast polished off the plate. I feel like going back to sleep now. The headache is still there.
The trip is taking its toll. The waitress asked me for my room number. I say “One”. 
She stares at me, shakes her head and says “We don’t have a room one.” 
I take out my room key and realise that it was the room number of the last hotel. 
“Room 15 then, sorry. It’s been a few too many hotels in the last couple of days.”
I drink a cup of tea, a glass of orange juice and a glass of apple juice, thinking that of the headache might be down to dehydration. It has persisted any attempt to get rid of it. If this stupid headache is not gone by 10:30 I will have to go for more drastic measures. 

9:20
I still want to take two or three pictures before heading for the train station. Here are the results.

Still a few clouds in the sky

What a difference a day makes

Loch Lomond - Marina

Sun and clouds over Loch Lomond



9:30
Back at the train station. After yesterday’s disaster, I prefer to be at the station in good time. Just in case the train is too early for some silly reason. There is a train from Ardlui to Glasgow about three times a day. Missing one would be pretty bad.
Within a matter of one hour, I came across three German couples. Two at breakfast and one at the otherwise deserted train station. There is no ticket vending machine, no taxi stand.

Ardlui station - picturesque and deserted


9:57
Train is on time and pretty packed too. I buy a ticket off the conductor.

10:20
More seriously dramatic landscape with several Lochs along the way. One moment, one can only see bushes and rocks and then BOOM there is a gap which offers stunning views over a Loch. 
The headache continues to annoy me. I grab the Pepsi bottle and an Ibuprofen and down it. That’ll teach my naughty little head!

11:35
In Glasgow on time. Headache is still kind of there. Since I only have almost exactly 24 hours in Glasgow and it is still too early to check in, I do the only sensible thing. I head out of the station, straight to the Glasgow Hop on/Hop Off double-decker busses, get a ticket, hop on board and start to learn about the city.

13:00
Western loop of the Glasgow tour complete. I take my backpack and head towards the hotel. It should take me about 20 to 30 minutes to get there. Not sure what the check-in time was. I forgot. With a bit of luck, I can check-in right away, if not, I will put my backpack into storage.

13:32
Found the hotel without problems. The clouds in the sky have been eaten away why the sun. I ask if checking-in is possible already. The lovely receptionist checks if my room is available already. It is. I can unload my backpack and head back out after deciding what I want to see. 
The Kelvingrove Museum and the Botanic Gardens looked cool! I check where the next subway station is and how to get to Kelvingrove. Looks easy. Time to get going.

13:37
I can't believe it. The Ibuprofen simply did not work. An espresso will either cure it or make it worse. It’s a gamble but I feel like playing. Single espresso to go.

14:05
Kelvingrove – the museum is beautiful. There is a bit of everything, not very homogenous, but the setting is truly lovely. Both thumbs up. I feel weird! The single espresso helped - the headache is gone.
The Kelvingrove museum from the outside

Kelvingrove - inside

Kelvingrove - inside

14:45
I am at the Botanic gardens. Awe inspiring. Although, I am clad in black, the sun is shining and it is 24 degrees. Inside the glasshouses it’s even hotter. I am melting away, but the sights are worth it.
Glasgow Botanic Gardens

Glasgow Botanic Gardens

15:15
Outside the Botanic gardens, I wait for the next tourist bus to take me back to the centre so I can complete the eastern loop of the tour.

17:05
Tour now complete. All the museums are now closed. I would have liked to see more, but I would not mind coming back here. Now it’s time to hunt for something to eat. I had seen something Chinese which looked alright. After all these hearty English/Scottish breakfasts, I need something slightly more oriental.

18:15
I have been very naughty indeed. Chinese all you can eat. Two trips to the buffet for the main meal and another two trips to the desert section… two slices of cake, a large dollop of ice cream and a mini doughnut.
祝您好胃口
18:30
It’s a sunny Friday evening, but I just want to lie on the bed, rub my belly and have the TV running in the background.

18:45
On the bed. TV running in the background. Not rubbing my belly though. Moving pictures from the camera onto the harddrive and typing up today’s events. I do not want to pay almost £14 for the breakfast here at the hotel. Seriously, 14 pounds is just cheeky, it’s the Novotel and not some 5 star hotel. I have heard that The Willow Tearooms are special and I checked their menu. They open at 9. Looks like I have found a place to eat tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment